Tuesday 9 September 2014

INTERVIEW//: Coastal Cities


A while back we wrote an article about Coastal Cities, one of our fave bands and got an ace reaction. Not ones to be coy (F got a shit tonne of texts stating how completely obvious it was that she fancied them - woops), we sent them an email and had a little interview. 
Here's the result:

How would you describe your music?


I would describe our music as eccentric pop - it often has catchy melodies and upbeat rythmns with an emotional sentiment through each of our songs. We often coin the phrase "Major Key Melancholy". I think that best sums it up.  

How would your describe your style?

I don't know if we could put our finger on it. Sometimes we like looking clean cut, other times like ruffians... But we do wear a lot of old clothing, and we combine lots of different styles to fit our personalities.    



Style icons? and why.


I don't really know if I have a style icon. But lately I've been into the "Americana" look. I like things like the Varsity jackets and the College sweaters with rolled up denim and white sport socks. It really appeals to my pretensions as I feel it resembles classic elements of youth that are now of a bygone era.  

Favourite cheese?

Brie. (Is that a cheese or a brand of cheese?)

Music muse?

There are so many influences with our music that it's hard to pinpoint one out of the pack.. But personally I would say a muse (of somesort) would be the Manchester music scene from the late 70's to the early 90's. Factory Records, the Hacienda and bands like The Smiths and Joy Division have rather typically had a large impact on my own musical prestige. I think that the whole city has an incredibly affluent and diverse history in terms of musical ventures and it's something I have wholeheartedly embraced. 

Night in or out?

Totally depends. I have had great nights out and great nights in. Just give me a whiskey on the rocks and a pack of pall mall red and I'll be happy wherever. 

What made you want to start a band?

Initially, I think it was to impress friends at school and to get noticed by girls. But as I've gotten older I think the main motivation has just been capturing the beauty behind great songs. Often I find myself thinking "this is the best song ever written" when listening to a band and it'd feel like the greatest gift if someday some kid would be able to say the same about a song we'd written. We can only try our best I suppose.  

How did you come up with the name?

The name came from mixing up song names on an iPod. At the time, a lot of our friends were in heavier bands and we wanted something that would be the polar opposite of that. Coastal Cities just kind of stuck. It's also ironic in an escapist kind of fashion as where we live is the furthest point from the coast in England. 

Best chat up line?

I literally can't think of one that has ever worked, ever.   

Sunflowers or Sushi? 

Both. In some sort of oriental picnic hamper. Spice up your life.


I'm not sure about you. But we defs wouldn't mind having a fantastic oriental picnic and smoking a pack of red pall malls with these boys.


No comments:

Post a Comment